Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Irony of it All

My last blog posed the question:  "Is Microsoft the next Dinosaur?"  My point was that most companies have a lifecycle, just like products do and people do.

Microsoft may or may not be at the precipice of a decline -- it is really up to Microsoft.  The thing I always admired about Bill Gates in the "early days" (and I was a UNIX fan since I worked for AT&T Computer Systems) was that he was always paranoid.  He knew the internet could eclipse the OS as far as the center of the IT universe and so out came Internet Explorer.  Microsoft tried to win the search engine war -- and after repeated lack of success has what looks like a nice product in Bing.

But no sooner did I post my Blog and get lots of comments (most not so nice from Microsoft proponents) along comes PC World with an article that asks the very same question I asked: 

Is Microsoft Following GM's Road Map?




Analysis: GM's bankruptcy marks the end of an era. Is Microsoft repeating the automaker's mistakes?


J. Peter Bruzzese, InfoWorld
// Jun 3, 2009 6:00 pm



"Microsoft has faced a few serious bumps over the last 10 years but came out fine. . .Knowing the work Microsoft developers put into their products, I believe they are the saving grace of the company -- as long as they are allowed to hear the voice of the people. This is an area where I've seen a problem."



I worked for AT&T at the hey day of Bell Labs.  We had the brightest, most awesome minds around -- just like Microsoft does today.   Microsoft ca be its own best friend or its own worst enemy.  Only time will tell.

No comments: